We owe it to ourselves to understand how social media affects our brains, our privacy and why it’s “free”. I love interacting with fans and friends ( contact me anytime ) but social media’s manipulative design is addictive and fragments our attention. The Profiteering tactics of fighting for our attention, keeping us over engaged and selling our personal information, are not good for us. The end result is too much time and attention taken away from us working on our craft and spending quality time with our loved ones.
I highly recommend the following YouTube videos on the subject of social media, ethical technology and the attention economy:
WARNING: THESE VIDEOS ARE LIKELY TO MAKE YOU QUIT SOCIAL MEDIA.
I will continue to use YouTube in favor of other social media for my music because:
- The audio and video quality is excellent.
- Engagement in the music is superior.
- Users have the option to use the ad-free YouTube RED service.
- Revenue is shared with content providers.
- There are minimal disruptive notifications.
- Suggested videos tend to be very relevant.